Thursday 17 June 2010

(500) Films of Empire - Day 275

307 - Midnight Cowboy - 3 stars
Some movies focus on a young girl travelling to L.A. or New York to make it big as an actress, but this movie sees Jon Voight travel to NYC to make his fortune... as a male prostitute.
Problem is that he's not that good. I'm sure he was fine at the sex part but he is young and naive and ends up getted hustled until he's broke and out on the street. The only positive is his friendship with fellow bum and hustler Enriqo 'Ratso' Rizzo, played with the usual conviction you would expect from Dustin Hoffman.
It is a good solid movie but Best Picture winner over Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid really?
A lot has been made over the famous "Hey. I'm walking here!" line by Hoffman, and I'm positive that it is an adlib after the taxi hits him because whilst in character just after the taxi passes by, when he shouts the line his accent drops for a moment. Check it out and I'm sure you will agree.

431 - Electra Glide In Blue - 2 stars
I'd heard a bit of cult buzz about this film but I was a bit disappointed with it. I'd heard it was the other great motorcycle film after Easy Rider, but there was only one rather tame motorcycle chase and the rest of the movie was about a short motorway cop with an abvious height complex who is desperate to become a proper cop and gets his chance when a local man is killed. Rooted deep in the exploitation era, unfortunately it didn't offer me anything to lift it out of the DVD bargain basement.

Days remaining - 90 Films remaining - 92

No comments:

Post a Comment