Sunday 18 July 2010

(500) Films of Empire - Day 305

69 - Three Colours Red - 3 stars
A film with several charcters who initially seem unconnected but as the story unfolds it reveals the bond that they share. It plays out like a French Short Cuts with two great lead performances by Irene Jacob, who brings sadness and vunerability to her model, and Jean-Louis Trintignant, who brings pathos and dignity to the retired judge who is not as law abiding as he might seem.
It is an interesting film that examines themes of voyeurism, isolation, fate, coincidence.
Unfortunately for me I have not seen the other two of the Three Colours: Three Colours White and Three Colours Blue so therefore the ending had less resonance with me than it would for those who have seen the entire trilogy, when apparently characters from the other films survive the same accident as people in this film.
I have a feeling that the very high ranking of this film could have been out of love and respect for the entire trilogy rather than this one particular part. I couldn't mark this film higher because I then started to worry that I had missed other parts of the film that could have been connected to the other films in some way. Not an ideal feeling to have.

Days remaining - 60 Films remaining - 64

No comments:

Post a Comment