Thursday 22 July 2010

(500) Films of Empire - Day 310

82 - The Great Escape - 4 stars
I can't believe I actually had to rent this from Lovefilm as it is usually on every Bank Holiday on BBC2 but I haven't seen it on terrestrial television once during the 310 days I've been doing this challenge.
A classic Boys Own Adventure with one of the great theme tunes of all time focuses on the inmates at a German POW camp as they plot and attempt their 'Great Escape'. It is full of good performances, tension, action and memorable characters.
Whilst still an entertaining film, what struck me when I watched the film this time is that despite of the talk of it being a true story, it is blatantly clear that this is an American film.
Why, I don't hear you ask? Because of the ending.
By now I'll assume that this film is of a certain age that I will be able to discuss aspects of the ending without having to put up huge *SPOILER* warnings!
Out of the people who escape the camp during the breakout, who survives? The bloody Yanks (Steve McQueen, James Garner, Charles Bronson, James Coburn). And who gets lined up and shot by the Nazis? The Brits! And most annoyingly, the guy who cocks it up with the famous "Good Luck" moment is a damn Scot, Gordon Jackson.

Days remaining - 55 Films remaining - 56

No comments:

Post a Comment