Sunday 13 April 2014

Calvary - review

"I was seven years old the first time I tasted semen" is actually the "startling opening line" that begins this story slightly mis-marketed as a whosgonnadoit which instead is about one good man trying to put his life in order in a cruel world.

Despite an excellent central performance from Brendan Gleeson who is a priest threatened with death by a mysterious parishioner in his small, sleepy Irish community, unfortunately I was as detached from the central story as Gleeson must remain from the stories and sins he hears in the confessional.

Calvary rode in on a wave of glowing 5 star reviews but the impact was as non-existent as the horsemen or roast dinner that I confused the title with.

3 stars

1 comment:

  1. I would've put 4, I think. More engaged than yourself, but it was definitely depressing!

    ReplyDelete